Saturday, May 4, 2013

Orange and pistachio financiers

Orange and pistachio financiers / Financiers de pistache e laranja

Financiers are one of my favorite baked goods: I love their chewy texture and they are also very versatile when it comes to flavors – the sky is the limit. A small bag of pistachios in the freezer was the perfect excuse for baking these financiers: since the lemons I had in my fridge were reserved for a cake I replaced their zest with orange and I think the result was better than the one from the original recipe.

Orange and pistachio financiers
slightly adapted from the always sinful and delicious Sticky, Chewy, Messy, Gooey: Desserts for the Serious Sweet Tooth

½ cup (50g) almond meal
1 cup (135g) unsalted pistachios, lightly toasted and cooled
1 ½ cups (210g) confectioners’ sugar, sifted
2/3 cup (133g) granulated sugar
finely grated zest of 2 oranges
8 large egg whites
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
¾ cup (105g) all purpose flour
¼ teaspoon table salt
1 cup (2 sticks/226g) unsalted butter, melted

Combine the almond meal, pistachios and the confectioners’ sugar in a food processor and process until the mixture is very fine and powdery.
Transfer the mixture to a large bowl and stir in the granulated sugar, orange zest, egg whites and vanilla just until smooth. Sift the flour and salt together over the batter and fold in gently. Carefully stir in the butter. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 1 hour and up to overnight.
Preheat the oven to 200°C/400°F. Generously butter 24 financier molds. Fill each mold ¾ full and bake for about 15 minutes or until golden and firm. Remove from the oven and immediately unmold onto a wire rack to cool. Dust with confectioners’ sugar to serve, if desired.

Makes 24 – I halved the recipe above, used 2-tablespoon capacity molds and got 24 financiers

5 comments:

Laura (Tutti Dolci) said...

Wonderful flavors in your financiers!

shaz said...

those are just perfect for a wet rainy afternoon like today.

anilou said...

Delicious, what's not to love? I'm surprised you like the orange over the lemon Patricia!

Mili said...

Wonderful recipe. Thank you for sharing. Could you tell me where I can buy unsalted pistachios? I've been trying to buy them but Walmart and the other local stores at our place only carry salted pistachios.

Patricia Scarpin said...

Anilou, can you believe it? :) I'm always for lemon, but I thought the orange flavor was amazing paired with the pistachios.

Mili, I live in Brazil.

Related Posts with Thumbnails