Friday, October 16, 2009

Banana cake with passion fruit icing

Banana cake with passionfruit icing / Bolo de banana com cobertura de maracujá

As some of you already know, I spent part of my vacation with my lovely and dear friend Valentina. We visited beautiful places, ate delicious food and had a wonderful time together – I miss her already! :D
I’ll soon post the photos on Flickr.

Not only is Valentina an amazing and generous friend but also a very skilled cook and baker – Trembom was the first food blog I ever read and the inspiration for me to create TK.
One of her recipes + a couple of bananas going more freckled than yours truly turned out into these divine little cakes.

Banana cake with passionfruit icing / Bolo de banana com cobertura de maracujá

Banana cake with passion fruit icing

Cake:
½ cup + 1 tablespoon (125g) unsalted butter, room temperature
¾ cup + 1 ½ tablespoon - 150g – packed light brown sugar
2 eggs
1 ½ cups + 1 ½ tablespoons (225g) self-rising flour
½ teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
½ teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
1 cup mashed ripe banana
½ cup (130g) plain yogurt
¼ cup (60ml) milk

Icing:
1 ¾ cups (245g) icing sugar, sifted
1 tablespoon unsalted butter, softened
3 tablespoons passion fruit pulp, seeds included

Preheat the oven to 180ºC/350ºF; butter and flour a 15x25cm loaf pan or a 20cm round cake pan.*

In a large bowl, using an electric mixer, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating to incorporate. Sift the flour, baking soda, cinnamon and nutmeg over the creamed butter and mix using a wooden spoon. Mix in the banana, yogurt and milk until combined, but do not overmix. Pour batter into prepared pan and bake for 50 minutes or until cooked through when tested with a skewer (time may very if using 20cm round cake pan).
Remove from the oven and cool in the pan, on a rack, for 5 minutes. Unmold, transfer cake to rack and set aside to cool completely.

Make the icing: place all the ingredients in a heatproof bowl and place it over, but not touching, a saucepan of barely simmering water. Mix continuously until the icing is thick enough to be poured over the cake. Pour it over the cake immediately, as the icing sets quickly – you can cover the cake completely with the icing or only the top.

* I halved the recipe, used ½-cup (120ml) capacity mini loaf pans and got 7 little cakes

Serves 8-10

20 comments:

Mimi said...

Looks delicious. I received a bag a passion fruits from a friend, now I have a recipe to use them in.
Thanks
Mimi

Unknown said...

I can't begin to tell you how much I love passion fruit. These look so yummy

lululu said...

look at the gooey beautiful icing! i love it!

Snooky doodle said...

the banana bread looks so moist and yummy and that icing really compliments it. :)

Barbara said...

That's a wonderful combination! The tartness of the passion fruit with the sweet banana bread. Great recipe!

Valentina said...

Oh, I can tell how moist this cake is. and yummy. you have little fairy hands - a magical touch.

Aussiemuminthekitchen said...

I grew up in Australia and my mother always made banana cakes with passion fruit icing. When I read your blog I could almost taste it and floods of memories came back. Such a wonderful combination. I think I'll make some today but I'm going to try my hand at passion fruit cream cheese frosting. Love your blog!

anna said...

That looks so good! I love passion fruit and any baked good with banana. What a yummy sweet-tart combination.

Nic said...

Wow, that looks fabulous, great icing - goes so well with your cake.

Little Bear's Kitchen said...

What a great combination and lovely colors too. I don't know where to buy passion fruit around here, otherwise I'd try this recipe.

Karine said...

Passion fruit icing! It sounds amazing! :)

Katie said...

Sounds delicious! I love banana cake but never thought of passionfruit icing -sounds divine!

Dimah said...

Wow, that looks incredibly delicious!

Patricia Scarpin said...

Mimi, thank you! I hope you enjoy your passion fruit!

Wizzy, I'm a sucker for passion fruit, too! Thank you!

Lu, thank you!

Natalie, these are moist, indeed! The icing is pretty addictive. :D

Barbara, thank you!

Tina, these are wonderful - like all the recipes you post, my dear!
xx

Bentley Family, tks for stopping by! Let me tell you that I absolutely love Australia and dream of visiting it someday! :D
Thank you for your kind words!

Anna, I love baking with banana, too!
Thank you!

Nic, thank you, darling!

Little Bear, thank you for visiting! I hope you find it soon.

Karine, tks for stopping by!

Katie, I was surprised by it, too.

Dimah, tks for visiting!

Anonymous said...

they look absolutely delicious and yes, they do say FALL!
Ronelle

Unknown said...

Hello there! I just found your blog and I really love it. Your recipes and pictures look so yummy!! I love to cook and I love passion fruit, i would like to try this recipe but I don't know where to find passion fruit pulp with the seeds. They sell it frozen at my local latin supermarket but without seeds. Do you know where to find it with seeds online?

Thanks in advance!

Patricia Scarpin said...

Hi, Dariela!
Thank you for your comment - you are far too kind. ;)
I love passion fruit, too - unfortunately, I would not know where you can find it (I live in Brazil).
Good luck!

Unknown said...

Thanks for answering Patricia! I will make this anyways without seeds!!

Lina said...

Hi Patricia! I love your blog and all your pretty pictures. I just made the banana cake with passion fruit icing, and while it tastes lovely, my icing doesn't look like yours. Yours look really thick and creamy, mine was quite runny and it didn't thicken. Would you have any idea why?
Thank you!

Patricia Scarpin said...

Hi, Lina!
Thank you for your kind words - I'm glad you are enjoying the recipes!
My icing was thinner while warm, then it became thicker as it cooled. Maybe the amount of water in the passion fruit I used?
Thank you for your feedback!

Related Posts with Thumbnails